Friday, February 3, 2012

Don't be a Bully

Yesterday was rough. It brought both Dave and myself to a new parenting crossroads. A place that neither of us have been. Lane had his usual weekly appointment with his play therapist. This being a normal routine, I wasn't expecting any new or different information. Boy was I wrong. Dave came home after dropping Lane at school and flung a piece of paper at me. This is what I saw.....

After speaking with Dave, I learned that the bigger the button, the more something bothered Lane. The 4 bigger buttons are as follows:

Bullies follow me-I want to kick them
Don't get to play my DS (this is a consequence for bad behaviors so disregard for the time being)
Bullies follow me-I want to hit them
Bullies follow me-say bad words

The smaller button:

Bullies hit me sometimes

Just looking at the picture, my heart jumped and then ached. It ached for my boy. Why is this happening? Where is this happening? What can we do? How do we proceed? I felt helpless yet was urged to action. I quickly headed to his daycare where his therapist stated the incidents are taking place. In I walked, picture in hand. I tried to remain calm as I spoke with the director. I simply stated that this has been brought to my attention and immediate action of some sort needs to be started. Lane has worked so hard to get to the point he is at today and to learn that he is dealing with these circumstances adds even more to his plate.

Dave and I have told Lane previously that he should stay away from "friends" who are unkind, telling him that real friends don't try to make their other friends sad or unhappy.

I am at a total loss. What do I do? Am I overreacting? Is it simply boys being boys?

I guess all we can do now is wait. Wait to see if things start to change. If they don't, Dave and I are prepared to do whatever we need to do to make things better for our boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment