Thursday, June 2, 2011

Remarkable...

The definition of the word remarkable, as stated at www.merriam-webster.com, is "worthy of being or likely to be noticed especially as being uncommon or extraordinary. This word sets the stage for the days past events.

Yesterday was LUNCH ON THE LAWN at Lane's school. The excitement on his face was priceless as I made and packed his lunch. The enjoyment that I too felt at this small task was evident. I carefully made his PB&J, making sure to get an even coating, then slicing it into 4 squares (just like my mom did for me). Juice, banana, granola bar and a fruit roll up were tossed in after. I carefully wrote his name on the outside of the bag, then proceeded to write him a little note so he could find it unexpectedly. I love him. Dave left a note too. He loves him too :)

At 11:00 his school erupted with activity as kids and parents searched for one another. Luckily, Lane and I spotted each other quickly and copped a squat on the grass to enjoy his goodies. As we sat and chatted, his teacher came up to him, cupped her hand gently around his face and called him remarkable. REMARKABLE. She thinks he is REMARKABLE. To hear someone say that about your child makes you feel that you are doing something right. That all the bad days are just bumps in the road to forming a great kid. In that moment, I was so incredibly proud of my boy. He has been through a lot this year, yet he has showed us all that he is a person who will not quit, will not give up (he might complain along the way though!). I love him- he truly is, remarkable...

Today is his final day of his Kindergarten year. What a journey it has been! Not only has he grown in inches, but he has grown so much in wisdom. At times it is if I can see the wheels in his head churning, thirsty for more knowledge. He did it, he accomplished and excelled at so many things this year. He has grown from a timid, shy little guy into a boy with confidence and a hunger for learning. Tomorrow I can officially say that I am the parent of a 1st grader. WOW. That's remarkable :)

No comments:

Post a Comment