Wednesday, May 11, 2011

STRESS and and eye twtich

Today I am experiencing the annoying presence of an eye twitch. It comes and goes as it pleases. Annoying me each and every time. I hear these twitches can be caused by stress. Funny, stress seems to be my middle name lately. Work stress, home stress, normal stress. Stress can take a big flying leap at any moment! I am feeling completely spent. My tank is getting close to empty. Between work and home (i.e. dealing with Lane and his struggles) I'm kinda almost at my limit.

Lane switched medicines right after Boston. In general, they are working remarkably well. Yet, we still see the fits of anger. I'm also unsure if his anger is due to coming off his meds or is it at age 6 that kids start to really develop their attitudes. Which ever the reason, I am at a loss. Part of me wants to sit on the floor and surrender, letting things go whichever way they fall. But as a mom, I can't. I can't let the other shoe drop. I have to be the cheerleader, soother, disciplinarian, etc...sometimes this job as mom can be a bit overwhelming. At times I look at Lane and have absolutely no idea what to do or how to help him. What mother does that?

Yesterday Lane and two other boys got into it at daycare. The end result...Lane got an incident report for biting the two boys. After hearing the entire story, all of the boys were at fault, yet Lane decided to take it to the next level and leave molar marks. How do I punish this? All of his toys are currently living in my bedroom. I did his 6 minute time out and proceeded to talk to him about his actions and how he could have done things differently. I took his bike away for the rest of the week too. Will this work? Probably not. I struggle to find something that will resonate with him. Something that will make him think before he acts. So far we are shooting blanks in that department.

I try to generally remain positive, but today is one of those times where the negativity is winning the battle. Maybe after my pity party that you all have unwillingly been invited to by reading this post, the day will look up and have a brighter ending!! Thanks for listening to my rant.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry you're dealing with these struggles with Lane. James is going through definitely a more "troubled" time right now where he's seeing just how hard or often he can push my buttons and get away with stuff now that I'm at home with him full-time. I usually discipline with love but I think he's my only child so far that has turned that against me and tends to see it as a sign of weakness. I hate having to get to big bad mommy world in order to combat his outbursts but also feel at my wits end at times. My frustration stems from the fact that James fully and clearly knows and comprehends that his bad behavior is unacceptable. I'm hoping that it's just a phase that we'll outgrow. Is Lane still at the same daycare provider he's always gone to? Maybe he needs a change of scenery with fresh goals? I hope you get a little relief with this while planning the wedding. :)

    ReplyDelete