Thursday, March 10, 2011

Behavior struggles brought to light

My Wednesday was filled with the slight chaos of an unscheduled appointment and all of the shifts in a schedule it can bring. Lane was originally scheduled to go to his therapist next Friday (which was a reschedule due to a family emergency 2 wks ago by the doc) but around 10:30 I got a call saying that there had been a cancellation and they could see Lane at 2. This worked out best for work, so I took a half day and shuttled Lane to his appointment.

Each time we go, I learn so much more about myself, as a parent and about Lane, as a child. The overall focus of this appointment was the doc bringing to light the idea that Lane might be ADD or ADHD. This is something he has been seeing and hearing during our previous sessions. I have to say, as a mom, it hurt to hear. He had me read over a list of symptoms that individuals with this condition typically possess. It was startling how many of the bullet points correlated with Lane's behavior.

Last night also brought the dreaded conversation with Lane's dad. That went better than I had expected, but at the same time, I felt that he was hesitant in believing the findings. Today, the therapist is going to contact him and discuss the situation further. I pray that he sees that Lane needs the stability that he gets here and that the lengthy amount of time away could end up causing more harm to him.

Today brings more phone calls to Doctor's, emails to his teacher, etc to try to get the best plan panned out for Lane. It can be so hard at times to keep that parent facade up, when all you want to do is hug your baby and wish they didn't have to go through the struggles that they are faced with. I am hoping that together, we can all come up with the best plan to help Lane and make this transition as painless as possible.

I hope everyone has a happy Thursday! Date night with my honey tonight, which will be a welcomed distraction :)

No comments:

Post a Comment