Thursday, December 9, 2010

If at first you don't succeed...

Being a parent is by far more challenging than I could have ever imagined. There are so many things to learn along the way. And in the learning process, I find myself constantly second guessing my decisions, wondering if what I am doing is right for Lane.  Here is the back story...

In much of our daily routine and life, Lane is very easy going and fun. However, there are times when a switch clicks inside him and he turns into a different child.  The switch generally happens at either school or daycare and lingers once we are home. While there, he has a tendency to hit, kick, scratch and spit at not only other students, but teachers as well. There have been times that he has gotten as many as 19 incident reports in one week while at daycare.  I find myself at a loss of where to turn next. I have tried timeouts, taking toys away, spending a night in his room, early bedtime, taking away of privileges, EVERYTHING!  I have even gone as far as taking him to a psychologist, wondering if there was something deeper that I wasn't seeing. Well, after two meetings with him, he basically told me that Lane is just fine and is simply a tad behind in the maturity scale when it comes to his concept of thinking before acting. 

I know he is a professional, but come on guy, I need something more!  My child is known as the bully at school! As a parent, I am at my limit. I have no idea what direction to go next and hate that I have to constantly be reprimanding Lane on an almost nightly basis for his actions while at school. When I ask him why he does such things, his answer is always either an I don't know or that he didn't like what he was being asked to do. He knows what he is doing is wrong, yet continues to do it anyway.

A parents love for their child is so deep that we will do anything to make things better for them. When they are crying, we wipe their tears. When they sick, we make them better. That's our job.  I am feeling today like I'm not getting it, there is something I am missing in him. When you are unable to help your child the way you should, it leaves you feeling helpless. I have another appointment scheduled with a new Dr. next Friday and will keep going until we get to the bottom of this, one way or another!

No comments:

Post a Comment