Sunday, December 5, 2010

Memories...


During the Christmas season, it inevitable not think about the people you have lost throughout the years.  Last night as I was dozing off to sleep, I was flooded with memories of a man that to me is irreplaceable and greatly missed.  This person was my Great-Uncle Harry. It seems as a child, everyone has that one person who they idolize. For me, it was him.  From stories that I have heard throughout my childhood, it seems as if we were attached from our first meeting.  My first memories are filled with his face, his laugh and his hugs.

Harry was a simple man. He loved God and his family. An image that has stuck with me is him on his knees at the end of his bed with his head is his hands, praying. He knew that before he took his first steps each day he needed to give thanks for the gifts that he received from a God who loved him.  For him it was simple. If you love and obey God, the rest will fall into place. I think that is something that many people today forget to do. I know that I too get so caught up in life that I forget to thank God for the little things that he blesses me with each day. I find myself trying to live my life as I see fit and forget that he has a plan for me and it is my duty as his follower to do just that…to follow.  Now, I know that not all people who might read this have the same views as I do when it comes to life and God. But I guess I just ask you this…maybe try to stop for a second. Think about the little things each day that make you happy, that bring you joy. 

It has been 10 years since he has passed. Losing him was something I knew would eventually happen. Yet, throughout my life he was the one person who seemed invincible, who would live forever.  I think about him daily and miss him greatly during the holidays, as it is a time for celebration and family.  I miss his red Buick pulling into the driveway and his smile as he would enter our house on Christmas Eve. I miss sitting on his lap as a child, hearing his heart beat as my head was nestled into his chest.  I miss reading to him or calling him on the phone when I had a math problem that to me was unsolvable.  Most of all, I miss the idea that he has missed so much since he left.  10 years of memories with an irreplaceable piece missing.   I guess though, that I should take my own advice and stop for a second and remember that though his physical presence is no longer an option for me, his memories and lessons will live forever.  Thanks to God for this blessing. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment