Thursday, December 30, 2010

Teen Mom: Big bucks for bad parenting

As a single mother who works a 40 hr per week job to support my child, I was completely appalled when I read an article referring to the income earned by a "star" of MTV's show, Teen Mom. The article, from msnbc.com stated that a teen mom earns $280K for her "work" on the show! Are you flipping kidding me?!?! I myself have watched the show and am so in shock that this girl, this CHILD is getting paid that amount of money and can't even manage to get her GED! She is getting rewarded for her stupidity and bad parenting!

It infuriates me as a parent who is providing for my son the right, respectable way to see someone being rewarded for bad behavior. I had my son when I was an adult and responsible enough to be a parent and could adequately provide for him. I graduated high school as well as college. She, on the other hand, can't manage to pass her practice test in order to receive her GED! Yet, she is making more money than many college graduates who put in 40+ hours per week to provide for their family! That just does not seem LOGICAL to me!

After reading this article, I am completely turned off from ever watching that program again. It is completely hypocritical to portray these girls' as young, struggling mothers. When in actuality, they are making out far better than the general two-parent household.

If you are interested in reading the article, check out the link below

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40853908/ns/today-entertainment/

1 comment:

  1. all of the so-called "reality TV shows" are pretty far from reality, so it doesn't surprise me that they're portrayed as broke moms when they're making a pile of money.

    Sarah, remember that in America we reward bad parenting/people who don't want to work/who spend money irresponsibly/etc..

    The middle-class in the United States gets the 'ol screw-job most of the time, because they're not "poor" enough to get benefits, yet they don't have enough money to buy a lot of things they want/need.

    ReplyDelete