Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Food Victory!

Last night Dave and I were able to take a point for the parents team on the war on FOOD! Lane has tended to be a picky eater, only scarfing down mac 'n cheese, spaghetti O's, hot dogs, etc... Until now!! We have be really working with him on trying new things. We have even started the rule that the above listed foods are now only allowed at lunch time on the weekends. If he doesn't eat what is put before him, then he will be a hungry little boy. Last night was a big test as we were making salmon for dinner. I was a tad worried because salmon has stronger fish taste than other fish he had eaten before. However, I did remember that a few weeks ago, we made "Crabby Patties" (salmon patties) and he did just fine. As I prepared his plate I was nervous because if he REALLY didn't like it, then was it fair for me to make him go hungry??? Thankfully, that dilemma didn't come into play because he actually liked it! I mean REALLY liked it!! YAHOO!!! I was cheering inside for this little victory!

Another technique that we have just started, thanks to the show Supernanny, is setting a time limit on his dinner. That child could spend well over an hour storing food in his chipmunk cheeks, making virtually no progress!!! So, we have given him a 30 minute time limit. Whatever is not finished at that time is thrown away. He isn't being punished at all. It is simply meant to teach him that he needs to buckle down and stay focused at dinner, as he tends to want to play and jabber. So far, this has been pretty effective. He is trying to beat his previous time every night. It makes me feel good as a mom knowing that he is getting the healthiest food that I can provide him.

What eating dilemmas have you faced with your kids?? How did you handle them??? Talk to me people!!!! :)

Have a happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment