Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I just felt like runnin'...Part II



...A week before the race I completed my 20 mile run, followed by a week of tapering in order to prepare my body for the race. It seemed like the week played out in slow motion, leaving me restless for the day to actually arrive. Dave and I left on Sunday for the 5 hr drive to Chicago. I think we were both a little nervous as there wasn't much conversation. Once there, we headed straight to the event center where we were to pick up our packets with our bib # and shoe attachment. Being from small town Iowa, it was a shock to the system to see that many people in one place. My anxiety grew by the minute and I started to sweat. It was then that I began to realize the goal I was going to attempt in less than 24 hrs. There were over 49,0000 registered participants with my # being 45549.

After getting our packets and checking out the health expo, we headed to our hotel. The 2 mile drive took literally 45 minutes! Walkers got to their destinations before we moved 10 ft! The entire city was a zoo. Everywhere you turned there was a runner. It left me feeling quite overwhelmed. I again began to doubt myself and fear that this task was too big for me to take on. Running by myself on the trail was a hell of a lot different than running with 49,000+ people! Who was I to think that I was capable enough, trained enough to attempt something of this caliber? My mind was like a marquee sign, constantly replaying the doubts inside my head. I was terrified out of my mind!

Next stop was dinner, where we had to make sure we had some good carbs to boost our body. This was the highlight to my day! me+carbs= happy Sarah! :) Dave and I found a great Italian restaurant for spaghetti and meatballs. YUM! We allowed ourselves a glass of wine to relax, which actually helped. So, me+carbs+wine= happy, relaxed Sarah. Where was that wine at midnight as I lay awake in bed freaking out?! Before I knew it 5am arrived and it was time game time. Shirt-check, shorts-check, sports bra x2-check, socks-check, shoes-check, watch-check, mind...check??

The walk to the starting line felt like I was walking to my death. Were spaghetti and meatballs really going to be my last meal?? The morning was perfect with a slight breeze and cool temperatures. Perfect running conditions. Maybe it wouldn't be AS bad as I thought after all. Start time was 7:30, which left me with some time to mentally prepare. Dave has super running speed so he was up close to the front and I was back with the "normal" people waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Minute by minute more and more people showed up. Before I knew it, we were packed in like sardines. Elbow to elbow, hugely invading personal spaces! It was the most surreal feeling to be standing there with that group of people, all with the same goal in mind. To run 26.2 miles in 6 hrs or less. Surprisingly while the National Anthem was sang, I was calm and focused. More focused than I have ever been before. I thought to myself... 26.2 miles. 6 miles an hour. 10 minutes a mile. I can do this. Stay on track. Keep breathing under control. Don't trip. Don't trip. DO NOT TRIP!

Once the race officially started, it was still several minutes before our section got to the actual start. As we slowly crept forward, "Right Now" by Van Halen blared from the speakers. My body was instantly filled with goosebumps and adrenaline. It was GAME TIME!!! LETS DO THIS! Wholly CRAP, I was running a marathon!

The first 13 miles went by relatively quickly. I was staying right on course for my 10 minute mile and my legs felt great. The crowd was AMAZING and gave off so much energy! (there were over 2 million spectators!) Everyone was screaming, clapping and holding signs of support. It was such an incredible feeling to see so many people there to support and encourage us.

Mile 14 and 15 were a bit harder as the route began to turn and head back the way we came. Sounds simple, right? Well, unfortunately by that time the sun was high and HOT! AND there were no trees for shade. It was then that my optimism began to waiver. I was hot, very hot and my legs were wearing out, fast! At mile 16, I still had 10 miles to go and my pace had slowed dramatically, this made me wonder if I was ever going to finish. Each mile seemed to take an eternity! I ended up missing a mile marker and at one point and thought I was coming up to mile 21. I then saw mile 20, I was devastated! It was such a mental kick in the gut to know that I was a mile behind where I thought I should be. At this point I was unable to focus on the crowd for energy. I was angry, sad and feeling extremely defeated. I had this goal, this ending that I wanted to see and it was as if it was something that I was not meant to reach.

VERY slowly, I somehow continued on. I think at that point I was so livid at the damn race that I wasn't going to let it win. I was crossing that finish line even if that meant crawling, rolling, or any other way to get my fanny across that line. Mile 24, 25, 26. WHOOHOO, I am getting there! THEN, the damned .2 part of the journey. That by far was the most challenging part. The end was in sight yet my legs felt that they couldn't go any further. They were pleading with me to stop. My knees were throbbing and my feet were on fire. How on earth would I get there? Fortunately, the crowd again swelled to giant numbers and you could see the enjoyment on their faces to see us complete. Somehow, from a place that I still haven't found, I was able to pick up my pace and actually sprint, yes SPRINT up the last hill and to the finish line.

I would love to say that I had a moment of splendor as I crossed the red line. All I can remember is the fact that I could FINALLY stop running! I was done. I did it. It was over. Now what?? I was in a daze, almost shock at what had taken 5:07:03 to complete. What do I do now? Where do I go? People were asking me so many questions that I don't remember answering. All I wanted to do was find Dave. How was I to find him in ALL of these people? Do I stand there and wait? Do I keep walking? When I finally saw him all I could do was collapse into his chest with relief. It was over. I had just ran and completed the 2010 Chicago Marathon.

4 comments:

  1. What was Dave's time? This post definitely wants to make me run a marathon. So proud of you for running through the frustrating times. What an accomplishment! And YES! We will definitely have to get together sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think his time was 3:18 and some change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there and this post makes me want to cry! EXCELLENT job Sarah...on this post and even more so the Marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, incredibly descriptive. Awesome story & an amazing accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete