Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Daydreamer

When I was a child, I would sit for what seemed like hours staring at the sky, daydreaming of far off lands behind the clouds. Things were so simple then. No worries, just dreams. I see that same thing in Lane today. His imagination is what drives him. I look in his eyes and see the possibilities that run through his mind. His excitement is contagious. In his eyes, he can be anything. I hope as he gets older, that light still burns. I hope he knows that his opportunities are endless. This world can be a harsh place at times, yet I hope he keeps his fire and sees the good within. I hope he loves with passion, stands up for what he believes in, doesn't settle for less than he deserves.

I also hope that I, as his parent, do my part in keeping those things alive in him. I hope I can continue to push him to new levels, yet be there if he falters, to stand back when I should and allow him to make his own decisions. It is so hard to let go, even at his young age of 5. I want to surround him in this bubble of comfort and stability, yet know that he needs to learn to break away, little by little. We work so hard as parents to provide our children with what they need. To love, punish, push, preach, encourage, listen....the list goes on. We then hope that what we did was enough. Is it ever enough???

No comments:

Post a Comment